The Cathedral Church of Our Lady of the Flight into Egypt
In 1926, one of the first acts of Bishop O’Riley, the first South African bishop to be consecrated within her walls, was to authorize Dr John Colgan, then Administrator of the Cathedral, to proceed with an extensive scheme of restoration and renovation. Mr F Glennie, a Catholic architect, presented a plan which, while renovating the Cathedral, preserved its essential character and left it St Mary’s.
The two side entrances were opened, a baptistry and sacristy were built on either side,
forming the arms of a cross; the nave was lengthened and two side chapels added. The whole west entrance was remodeled and the present tower erected over the main porch.
This work was carried out in 1927. But the old building was still St Mary’s.